History

Heights Elem 

The oldest school building in Laredo is now one of the newest school in town. Heights Elementary School was dedicated during formal ceremonies recently.

Originally built as a fire station, Heights became an elementary school in 1912. A trolley was used to transport students from throughout the neighborhood.

In 1981, most of the school was destroyed in a fire. Portables were added and emergency repairs were made. School officials agreed that the campus needed to be rebuilt to comply with state and federal standards.

In 1999, LISD voters approved a construction program that included Heights Elementary School. Built at a cost of $6 million, the new campus features a cafeteria, gym, library, parking lot for staff, visitors parking, student drop-off zone, bus drop-off zone, computer labs and 25 classrooms.

The current Heights Elementary School was designed by Turner, Hickey and Associates. Leyendecker Construction built the new edifice.

Our enrollment here at Heights has grown from 386 to its current 556.  

Ms. Adriana Padilla is our current Principal.